It hasn't been good past 2 months. Basically wasn't feeling too well and not up to bake anything at all. I only felt better 1-2weeks back and was more or less back to my usual self. I had been looking at making a Banana Chiffon Cake few weeks back and last weekend, the opportunity came when there was a bunch of overripped bananas setting on the dining table screaming 'Use me! Use me!'
I have modified the recipe to make this low sugar and banana filled chiffon cake. The original recipe called for 1 cup of bananas but I threw in all 6 large bananas I had which was about 2.5cups to 3 cups of bananas in total. The cake still baked into a beautiful chiffon cake, soft and full of bananas.
Banana Chiffon Cake
200g cake flour (sifted with 1/2 tsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of bicardonate soda)
50g castor sugar
8 egg yolks
6 tbsp oil
2.5cups mashed bananas
8 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
100g castor sugar
- Mix all (A) ingredients together to form a thick batter.
- Whisk egg white and cream of tartar till 'soapy' stage.
- Slowly add in castor sugar
- Whisk till egg white becomes medium peaks.
- Mix egg whites to (A), mix well but with a light hand.
- Pour into a 25cm/10" chiffon tin
- Bake at 160C for about 1hr or till cooked.