Having your whole thyroid removed and needing to go through a session of Radioactive Iodine therapy, one needs to be on a low iodine diet for 2 week before the therapy. This means a big no no for any form of seafood and also any food items which are high in iodine.
Generally safe food to take would be fruits, vegetables, fresh chicken/pork. I have came up with or modified some recipes that can be used during this period. Apologies that there are no photos for these recipes.
Pork with Chopped Lotus Roots
600g minced pork
300g piece of lotus roots (chopped)
1 tsp of non-iodized salt
1 tbsp of sugar
1 egg white
1 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp water
dash of sesame oil
Put the above in the bowl and mix well.
Note : This meat mixture is versatile and can be pan fried into patties, steamed into balls or deep fried.
SAUCES for pan fried / deep fried meat balls/patties
Juice from 1 orange/lemon or 3-4 limes
Add 2-3 tbsp water to dilute the juice if you find it too tart.
2 tbsp sugar (depending on how sweet you want to sauce to be
1/2 tsp corn starch mix with 1tbsp water
Mix juice, water and sugar together and bring to a simmer.
Add cornstarch mixture to thicken it slightly into a sauce.
Serve with meat patties/balls
1 large onion (cut into 1/2" cubes)
4 green apples (cut into 1/2" cubes)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 tsp ginger powder
Non Iodised salt and pepper
1. In large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp oil
2. Add onion, salute till translucent and beginning to brown. (About 6 min). Add apples, salute 4 mins more.
3. Add vinegar, raisins, and ginger powder. Stir well to combine. Cover
4. Simmer till apples are tender but can still hold their shape. (About 3 min).
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve with meat patties or pork chop (Recipe)