Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes


HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRO!
This posting is 2 months late. Bro celebrated his birtday on the 1st day of Chinese New Year. I made these cupcakes along with 2 pandan cakes and some walnut cakes all within a day, some to be given away as CNY cakes to my parents and in-laws.

In the mist of weighing so many ingredients all at the same time and the bottle of the baking powder and bread improver looked similar, I didn't check the label and added bread improver into the walnut loaf cakes that I made. I didn't realise the mistake till weeks later. The walnut cake looked normal after it was baked, tasted soft and moist but the taste was not quite right but I couldn't put my finger to it till weeks after Chinese New Year that I realised that I have used up 3/4 of a bottle of bread improver when I didn't bake a single loaf of bread for a long while. It was only then that I realised that I have used it for the walnut cakes and no wonder they tasted kind of strange.

Besides that walnut cakes, the pandan cake and cupcakes turned out all right. I guess I must have only used bread improver for the walnut cakes I made.

The chocolate cupcakes was nice, but to prevent the cupcakes from turning messy while transporting them to Bro's birthday BBQ, I used compound chocolate to ice the tops instead of ganache. It didn't taste very impressvie when cold but by warming the cupcakes slightly in a microwave, it turned soft and tasted good and you can even eat it with a scoop of ice cream.

I used marzipan to make the sun on the cupcakes. I like the taste of marizpan. Eating this makes me think of my favourite chocolate - Reber Mozart ... Yummy...

No comments: